Recommendation 1: Adopt the essential components
If you are a voluntary organisation or a public sector body wanting to increase partnership working and ensure that the strength of the voluntary sector is harnessed, we recommend that you adopt the essential components outlined above.
- Take time to build relationships
- Develop a shared vision and values
- Agree principles of joint working, with documentation
- Invest and bring in resources
- Build clear cross-sector leadership.
Recommendation 2: Don’t just adopt a model
Just adopting a particular model will not be enough. True system change and transformation needs to ensure that:
- the voluntary sector is and feels like an equal partner
- governance structures reflect the importance and value of the sector
- this becomes the default way of working across your organisation (not just one or two colleagues)
- activity is aligned across all sectors. Having a shared vision and values will help facilitate partnership working and support system transformation
- there is senior level buy-in from all organisations at all levels of the system.